A Treatise on the
PvP Balance Between Mages and Melees comparing a level 55 4 school mage with
mana conversion with a level 40 melee with item enchantment.
- Skills needed to purchase. (Advantage Melee) - A melee needs to purchase
Healing, Item Enchantment, and Melee Defense. A mage needs to purchase 4
schools and mana conversion.
- Attack type. (Advantage Melee) - Sticky melee is very fast, very hard to
run away from, and you cant manually dodge with strafe keys. War magic
easily dodged and life magic easily run away from.
- Length of time the attack can be sustained. (Advantage Melee) - Stamina
for a melee is used up slowly, mana for a mage is used up quickly.
- Overall expense to play (Big Advantage Melee)
- Downtime (Advantage Melee) Mages must buff, buy components, learn spells
of 4 schools
- Armor being a necessity (Advantage Melee) Melees begin with a high
makes sense that a melee needs armor. Mages begin with a low
has more than 1 purpose for a melee, ie it helps with
damage. Mages get no
ancillary benefits from strength.
- Time to prepare for combat (Advantage Melee) - Melee casts about 3 item
spells, mages need to cast about 20+ spells.
- Expense when PvPing (Advantage Melee) - It costs a mage between 2-3k in
regs each time he buffs, while a melee about 400 pyreals.
- Fleeing combat via foot (Advantage Melee) - They commonly have a faster
- Fleeing combat via magic (Advantage Mage) - They commonly have wand in
- Begins with a defense vs the opposite class (Advantage Melee) Melees
with Magic Defense, Mages need to purchase melee defense.
- Primary offense No-Drop? (Advantage Melee) - Mages can lose magic wands
and components, Melees don't lose Atlans/Hollows/Gertarhs, etc.
- Is effective vs the opposite class naked and unbuffed? (Advantage Melee)
- A naked, unbuffed mage dies in about 3 seconds. A naked, unbuffed
still has melee defense and can still dodge/outrun offensive
- Can survive 3 of the opposite class? (Advantage Melee) - A mage will not
survive vs 3 melees, yet a melee can still dodge and outrun the
magics of 3 mages.
- Skill required to effectively PvP (Advantage Melee) - It is much easier
to PvP with a melee - You choose a target and surf, and run and heal.
have to target, hit, choose the correct spell type, overcome spell
spell failures, etc.
- Ease of getting new Turbine quests/special items. (Advantage Melee) - A
level 5 can get a hollow weapon, yet it is close to impossible to stay
in Diamond Scarabs and very time consuming to get the new spell
the new spells can take weeks.
- Vulnerability to a raid when unbuffed (Advantage Melee) - A mage in town
unbuffed dies in about 3 seconds, while a melee still has his melee
to give him some protection.
- Raids a town vs unbuffed people (Advantage Melee) - A melee will kill a
lot of people if he raids town, yet a mage will get one if he is lucky
- Speed of leveling alone (Advantage Mage) Mages historically can level
at most level ranges.
- Cost to level (Advantage Melee) It is much cheaper to level a melee than
- Length of time you can raid before resupply (Advantage Melee) A mage
about 50 of each component needs to resupply every 3-5 buffs or
about 45 minutes.
A melee can effectively raid for many hours, including
buffing his weapons/armor
on the fly.
- Ease of talking in combat (Advantage Melee)
- Can fail an attack not due to opponent's defenses (Advantage Melee) A
can fail a spell or the spell can just not go off.
- Skill points for main offensive skill (Advantage Melee) No points for
staff, or dagger. 16 points for War Magic.
- Which one is more lag-effected? (Advantage Melee) Once a melee is locked
on, the server takes over. If a mage lags, his spells don't go off.
- Spell Economy (Advantage Melee) Melees don't get weaker as more people
weapons or surf, yet mages get noticeably weaker due to spell
- Damage bonus (Advantage Melee) Mages get no bonus to damage due to
yet melees get damage bonuses to due
- Ease of "twinking" (Advantage Melee) It is much easier to help
a melee than it is a mage.
A few conclusions:
- As you can see, out of 28 categories, the melee has the advantage in
- In order to look at PvP balance, one cannot put on blinders and see what
happens when a mage and melee fight 1v1 when they are both ready, one
to consider the ENTIRE playing experience.
- Logically, why should any weapon (ie a hollow) that can be wielded by
level of person (yes, level 5s included) be so powerful that it
most potent protective spells known to man or monster?
- Logically, why should a level 40 melee (with about 20 million
be able to compete with a level 55 mage (with about 85
Why shouldn't a mage, using a level 6 life magic
vulnerability spell and a
level 6 war magic spell, the most powerful
spells ever, be able to kill someone
with ¼ their experience and using a
skill that cost no Skill Credit
I submit that there is NO balance in the PvP of Asheron's Call due to the
KV the Anti